Jump to content
Divers Association

Mark Longstreath

  • Content count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won


Everything posted by Mark Longstreath

  1. Luke Seabrook, Canada, 2015

    Taken from: http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/nova-scotia/luke-seabrook-diving-death-accident-tidal-power-plant-1.3678009 No closure for family of diver killed at Nova Scotia tidal plant a year ago Luke Seabrook's family on mission to prevent divers from dying on the job The family of a Dartmouth man killed on the job at Nova Scotia Power's Annapolis Tidal Power Plant a year ago is still seeking answers about how and why his death happened. Commercial diver Luke Seabrook, 39, died last July 15 while inspecting the dam's underwater gates. The generating station is located where the powerful Bay of Fundy tides meet the Annapolis River in Annapolis Royal. "He didn't have a hope in hell, nobody would," said Angela Seabrook, Luke's mother, as she stared at the rushing water pouring out of the dam. The Wasaga Beach, Ont., woman travelled to Nova Scotia to see the plant for herself on the eve of the anniversary. 'I need to know' "I have to find out what happened and why it happened before I can forgive," she said. "There might not be anybody to blame for this. It could just be an accident, but I need to know." His family has received details from Jarvis DesRoche, the backup diver, who along with the diver supervisor, were providing support from the shore. Luke Seabrook was carrying out the annual inspection of the gate as part of Paul's Diving Service Inc. It was a job he'd done before. Within a minute or two of going underwater, Seabrook signalled to come up. His support team couldn't pull him up but the line wouldn't budge, so they tied off his line in hopes he wouldn't be dragged farther away. "If Jarvis had gone down, there would be two of them dead," Angela Seabrook said. DesRoche had to wait about an hour for the tides on both sides of the dam gate to equalize before he could retrieve his friend's body. Seabrook says her son was found stuck in the gate, which wasn't fully closed, as it should have been. His helmet was wedged in the gap. The opening allowed the force of the world's highest tides to surge through. The differential pressure on either side of the gate creates a powerful suction. That pressure can be in the tonnes. In the diving world, that hazard is called Delta P, and it's one of the leading causes of death for occupational divers. 'I hope he didn't suffer' Luke Seabrook was found with broken ribs and contusions to his head. His suit was ripped, his mouthpiece was loose. "I don't know whether he died because his lungs were crushed or he drowned," Angela Seabrook said. She's still waiting for the autopsy report's official cause of death. "All I know is I hope he didn't suffer." For the last year, the provincial department of Labour has been investigating the workplace fatality. It typically takes two years before findings are released and charges, if warranted, are laid. Seabrook's fear is that another diver could die on the job in the meantime. Department denies CBC request CBC News has asked to see the department's stop-work and compliance orders slapped on Nova Scotia Power and Paul's Diving Service Inc. Those requests have been denied, and that decision is waiting to be reviewed. Rejecting a request for labour department orders is unusual. In previous cases, the department has provided the information to CBC News. Nova Scotia Power has declined an interview. And the dive support team members have not responded to an interview request. 'Things haven't changed' Seabrook has enlisted the help of diving expert Stephen Donovan in her quest for answers. In the '90s, Donovan was a member of the working group that drafted Nova Scotia's diving regulations. He says he walked away from the group because it was split with infighting among different diving groups that had competing interests. The end result, he says, was watered-down regulations. "Things haven't changed from when I was diving in the Bay of Fundy in the middle of the '70s," said Donovan. "Yes, we have better equipment but we still are losing people." Donovan finds it deeply troubling that Luke Seabrook was likely killed because of a danger that is nothing new – differential pressure at a dam. He says he believes Seabrook's death was preventable. It's high time, he says, for the diving community to make safety a priority. "Very frustrating that changes haven't been made that I think should've been made." 'We feel forgotten' The wait for information has been agonizing for Seabrook's widow, Sheryl. They were newlyweds when Luke was killed. His last text was haunting and sweet. "Going to work with the changing tides. I love you, I'll talk to you soon," she recalled. The 36-year-old has tried to go back to work, but she's been unsuccessful. Diving was a passion she shared with her husband, but now she can't go back in the water. On this first anniversary of Seabrook's death, she plans to go to the plant for the first time where she'll spend time in quiet meditation. She'll find a wreath attached to a chain link fence surrounding the dam. It's the only hint of the tragedy. But there will be no closure. "I think that's something that can only come after the full investigation is disclosed to us, if and when," she said. "We feel forgotten."
  2. Luke Seabrook, Canada, 2015

    I would say that yes, the power company are likely to be somewhat accountable. It is unlikely to be as clear cut as being wholly a diving company's fault, but more a combination of factors that contribute to an accident.
  3. Billy Ray Lillard

    From the album Those who have died

    Cal Dive Nov.25 1991, GOM, Surface Gas Dive. Age 25, Came off the downline on Waterstop. Died in Chamber on deck. 1) Young Diver First surface Gas Dive 2) Stage was not at first stop when he reached it. It was being lowered. 3) Seas Heavy, surge, and current. 4) There was a serious bend previous to this dive.
  4. Those who have died

    This album is just for pictures of divers who have died while working. We don't want anyone to forget.
  5. Kevin S Sass, GOM, 1995

    The following is part of an email received regarding this incident. Other parts have been removed to protect the identity of the emailer: “At the time of his death, Kevin had been on a jetting job. They were either searching for a pipe or a valve. I do not recall the location. The trench had been jetted out 20 or so feet below natural bottom. It had not been done very well because they had already experienced some collapses of the wall on either side during the operation. At some point during Kevin's dive he experienced a collapse that resulted in his being completely buried. Under most circumstances this would not be an issue. One merely "jets" themselves out of the hole and then re-jets the collapsed portion of the trench. Unfortunately, Kevin broke the cardinal rule for jet blasting. He failed to secure the jet nozzle to his wrist with some polyline. The shock of being struck by the collapse caused him to drop the jet nozzle and it subsequently jetted itself away from him. Two standby divers were utilized to attempt a rescue but were unsuccessful as the material filled in faster than they could jet it away. Kevin was conscious and speaking for a time, but when he finally stopped responding it was decided to "yank" him forcibly out of the trench. Kevin's umbilical was attached to the crane hook and he was pulled out of the hole. It is a little fuzzy here what happened when they got him to the surface but all attempts at first aid failed. One point that stuck out was that upon pulling him out of the hole with the crane, his umbilical slipped through the seizing at the QD and subsequently pulled his head down almost to the QD resulting in a broken neck. Whether or not Kevin was still alive at that point can only be speculated without an autopsy report and I am not aware that one was ever made public. Needless to say, had he still been alive at the time of being "yanked" out of the hole, he certainly would not have been after that. I am certain that if pursued, an autopsy report could reveal the actual cause of death, but this highlights how important it is to pay attention to the little things. For the want of a four foot piece of polyline, my friend lost his life, I lost a friend, a family lost a fine son, and a fiancé lost a husband.”
  6. Billy Ray Lillard

    What a waste of life! Why I hate Surface Gas. Unfortunately with the continued low oil price, I can see clients bringing back SMG as a cheaper option to Sat. I would expect an increase in accidents and fatalities if it does.
  7. Luke Seabrook, Canada, 2015

    Safety violations laid in diver's death at Nova Scotia Power plant Luke Seabrook, 39, died in 2 years ago today after getting stuck underwater in a sluice gate By Elizabeth Chiu, CBC News Posted: Jul 15, 2017 2:45 PM AT Last Updated: Jul 15, 2017 2:45 PM AT A small commercial diving company in Hammonds Plains, N.S., has been charged with four offences under the province's Occupational Health and Safety Act following the death of an employee two years ago today. Luke Seabrook died on July 15, 2015 after getting stuck underwater in a sluice gate at the Nova Scotia Power tidal plant in Annapolis Royal. The 39-year-old commercial diver from Dartmouth was working for a company hired by the utility to inspect the gates controlling the flow of the powerful tides of the Annapolis River. 4 charges According to court documents, Paul's Diving Services Inc. is alleged to have: failed to provide information, instruction, training, and supervision necessary to address water flow hazards at the tidal generating station; failed to take precautions "to ensure that employees, and particularly the supervisors and foremen were made familiar with... hazardous water pressure differential that may exist at the sluice gates"; failed to ensure a written dive plan was in place that met the requirements of the province's Occupational Diving Regulations; failed to ensure that a dive was not conducted in hazardous water-flow conditions. The charges have not been proven in court. A representative of the company is due in Digby provincial court on July 24 to enter a plea. An official from the company declined to comment on the matter, when reached by phone Saturday. If convicted, penalties could include a fine as high as $500,000, up to two years in jail, or both a fine and a jail term. Seabrook's family was told the gate was not fully closed and powerful water pressure sucked him into the gap. His helmet was wedged in the opening, trapping him underwater. Charging 'the little guy' The province has up to two years to investigate and lay charges in workplace incidents. Seabrook's family and diving safety advocates have been raising the case as a "catalyst for change." In a letter emailed in May to provincial officials, including Premier Stephen McNeil, the family urged the province to consider laying charges against Nova Scotia Power Seabrook's mother Angela Seabrook said she feared labour officials might be "apprehensive about laying charges further up the line" and that the Occupational Health and Safety Branch had not fulfilled its mandate for workplace safety "based on the decision to only charge the little guy." "Too many large corporations escape being held accountable for hiring third-party contractors," she said. 'No evidence' against NSP The province disputed that. Daniel McNeil, a spokesperson for the Labour Department, said "no evidence was gathered to support laying charges against Nova Scotia Power Inc." For its part, Nova Scotia Power spokesperson Tiffany Chase said in an email that Seabrook's death was a "terrible tragedy. Our thoughts are with his family. Workplace safety is integral to our corporate culture." The CEO of the Diver Certification Board of Canada, David Parkes, said he agreed that Nova Scotia should not be charged because the utility was not Seabrook's employer. 'Slight improvement' Parkes said he expects only a "slight improvement" in the commercial diving world as a result of the charges. He said diving contractors will be "more and more conscious on doing things like dive plans, taking a better job safety analysis before they start work." He said Nova Scotia lags behind New Brunswick, which has trained nine general inspectors in diving issues since the accident. Parkes said he would like to see Nova Scotia adopt regulations that require contractors to notify the Labour Department 24 hours in advance of a dive project. That's the law in Ontario and British Columbia. Steve Donovan, a diving safety expert, said relying solely on regulations isn't the answer. He said it's up to commercial diving contractors to adopt best practices to ensure a diver's safety. Taken from: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/safety-violations-diver-death-nova-scotia-power-tidal-plant-1.4206991
  8. Is Longstreath.com down?

    PM me here and let me know what the problem is, and your details, email address, username etc. UPDATE I have looked on longstreath and there are two entries, one with a gmail address and one with a ymail address. Both are listed as members. Let me know which one you want to keep and I'll send you a new password.

    Take a look here for the OPITO approved courses and schools: http://www.opito.com/course-key
  10. Paspaley pearl diver Jarrod Hampton's family seeking answers as inquest into death set down for May The family of a Victorian pearl diver who died off WA's north-west coast has welcomed the scheduling of an inquest five years on, saying lives continued to be put at risk by alleged dubious safety practices. Jarrod Hampton was working as a drift diver for the Paspaley Pearling Company in April 2012 when he got into trouble in the water off Eighty Mile Beach. By the time he was pulled aboard his boat, its crew was unable to revive him. A 10-day coronial inquest has now been set down to run in Perth in May, with Mr Hampton's parents Robyn and Tony and their two other sons planning to travel from their home in Victoria to attend. Ms Hampton welcomed the announcement of the inquest and said she felt "very optimistic". "We've waited many years to get that news. There was a time we thought we weren't going to get an inquest," she said. "We will learn what they did do and what they perhaps should have done, and what maybe should have been in place." Ms Hampton said the doubt surrounding just how her son died had added to the family's distress. "We only live with the memories of him, and we miss him, and the dynamics of our family have changed forever ... we're overwhelmed by his loss," she said. Family criticises 'archaic' regulations In the wake of the death, safety watchdog WorkSafe charged Paspaley with failing to provide a safe work environment, to which the company pleaded guilty and was fined $60,000. The Broome District Court heard it took the Paspaley crew between five and 10 minutes to bring Mr Hampton onto a boat, at which time efforts to revive him were unsuccessful. However, no charge was ever laid relation to Mr Hampton's death, and there has been no suggestion the company was responsible. The Hampton family has been scathing of the relatively loose regulation of the pearling industry and the lack of change in the wake of their son's death. "There's been no significant improvements, nothing done that would protect someone's life," Ms Hampton said. Pearl diving is regulated under the general diving regulations rather than commercial diving regulations, and Ms Hampton said the inquest would provide an opportunity to have that reviewed. "All the pearl divers must get a commercial fishing licence, so the WA state does see their job as commercial fishing, and yet they've managed to maintain a very archaic diving regulation, the general diving regulations." Review underway but progress unclear Both Paspaley and the WA Pearl Producers Association have defended the industry's safety record, pointing out that deaths are very rare and saying improvements had been made in recent years. The State Government said in the wake of Mr Hampton's death that it would review safety regulations, but it appears there has been little progress. A working group was formed by WorkSafe after court proceedings finished in 2015 to assess what industry changes were needed. The ABC understands the group has met several times, and is looking at whether the existing non-enforceable industry code of practice needs to be upgraded to a commission code. Diving guidelines are also being reviewed nationally, a process Worksafe has said could have implications for the training requirements in WA's pearling industry. The WA Pearl Producers Association and WorkSafe have been contacted for comment. Source: http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-02-22/paspaley-pearl-diver-jarrod-hampton-family-welcomes-inquest-wa/8292170 Feb 22 2017
  11. Jarrod Arthur Hampton, Australia, 2012

    Tony, Please keep us updated of any developments. I know it has to have been a hell of a struggle for you.
  12. Roderick Araúz, Panama, 2016

    Taken from this post: Hello Hal, below a translation from the newspaper El Siglo: Elmer Quintero CedeñoElmer.quintero@elsiglo.comSources said that divers were trapped and sucked by the currentTRAGEDYTwo divers died after being sucked by a sewer at a time when they were cleaning a canal at the Gualaca Hydroelectric Power Plant of Celsia Centroamérica, S.A., in Gualaca, Chiriquí.The facts were recorded at approximately 12:40 pm yesterday afternoon.Citizens Roderick Araúz, 35, and Jose Garcia, 43, were hired by the hydroelectric company to carry out work as divers and clean the canal that reorients the waters of the River Estí and, while carrying out these tasks, were dragged by the Current through a sewer that I push them to another channel.Ambulances of the firemen of Gualaca and other security institutions were transferred to the place, and the staff performed cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) maneuvers, but the effort was in vain.In the same way police units were presented, of the Sinaproc, Firemen, DIJ, Criminalistics and the Municipality of Gualaca.The Personería carried out the lifting of the corpses of these two people.Roderick Araúz was captain of the Volunteer Fire Department at Gualaca Station and worked as a firefighter at Enrique Malek Airport in David.According to a statement from the company Celsia Centroamérica, the two divers were hired by the contractor Interpa Holding Corporation, S.A, which was routinely called to carry out works on the canals.It was indicated that, as soon as the accident was known, the emergency plan was activated and representatives of Celsia Central America contacted the corresponding authorities to provide immediate attention."At the moment the company is providing the necessary support both to the relatives of the deceased and to the authorities, in order to clarify the facts and determine the causes of this unfortunate accident," the company said in a statement. End of translation from El Siglo Newspaper. Facts that I obtained: The divers were Scuba Divers, the "Contractor" company was owned by one of the divers. They were using scuba at the moment of the incident. One of the reasons this things happen here is because there is no law for dive operations. A group of professionals presented a law that will be discussed by senators in January 2017 (we been trying for years but politicians always find the way to block it). Will keep you updated on any advance regarding the dive law. Gabriel
  13. Agustin Ortega, Spain, 2017

    There is an article about the high rate of deaths in Spain here: http://www.elconfidencial.com/espana/2017-03-02/buzos-profesionales-precariedad_1340942/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=BotoneraWeb It needs google translate unless you are a Spanish speaker, but seems to how that Agustin Ortega died of a heart attack. I may be getting cynical, but that seems to be used as a reason for divers dying rather a lot.
  14. First Two Fatalities in 2017

    2017 has started with two fatalities in the diving industry, both in Spain. The first was on January 5th was a diver named Jesus Ramon Vazquez Tojeiro, who was carrying out a dive to recover red coral, commonly used in jewelry that is sold in China. As the amount of red coral declines, divers have to go deeper to find it. This diver died while carrying out a SCUBA Mixed Gas dive. His body was recovered 9 days later on January 14th. The second diver died on 25th January. His name was Agustin Ortega. Currently we know very little about how he died, just that he was working at the Valdelentisco desalination plant near El Mojón in Mazarrón. It is widely recognised that Spain has one of the worst safety records in the world, and that their diving regulatory structure is antiquated, and totally inadequate for the diving industry. Lets hope that 2017 can be the start of a total restructuring of the Spanish diving regulations, as they sorely need it. Augustin Ortega
  15. Leticia Castiglione

    From the album Those who have died

    Died 19th December 2016 Approx. 18:10 hs. Monday 19-Dec Commercial diver Leticia Castiglione, an Argentine. 37 years of age Diving for the Company Raul Negro. Operating in reflotamiebro on a sunken barge TAF 317. Km 1204,5 MI RP. Leaving bottom and arriving on the surface assisted by the two surface divers who with personal from the PNA used CPR. Unconscious she was transferred to land and taken to the School Hospital where they performed life saving tasks of reanimacion.amplia CORR Hs. At 20:20 The Head of Intensive Therapy reported the death of the Commercial Diver Leticia Castiglione, cause of death to be determined by the coroner. Federal Court Judgment No. 1 was given to Dr. Carlos Soto Dávila

    What has to happen too, is the adoption of IMCA guidelines. This is likely to prove to be a stumbling block though as IMCA is not a US body. Consolidate authority under USCG, and adhere to IMCA guidelines, and you will improve diver safety in the US.
  17. Website Upgrade

    The Association website is in the process of being updated. The board software has already be changed to the latest, and most secure software package, and is in the process of being configured to achieve a similar look and feel to the original site. This will take time, however the forums can be used as normal. The Incidents script is also being upgraded to work with the new site software, and should be back online shortly.
  18. Sedco 1, Spain, 1979

    We have received some information from one of the divers involved in the incident. He is now 71, and still searching for answers! Below are excerpts from his emails, with all personal details taken out: We sent him the details listed in the Incidents section and received the following: And then: Does this jog any memories? Any information, please add it in here, no matter how trivial.
  19. Sedco 1, Spain, 1979

    A name that has come up as potentially one of the two divers killed in this incident is Jim Wyness. He was fairly new out of the army, and recently married and took the job on short notice as he needed to have a new kitchen built. I have done several searches for any details of him, but not been able to come up with anything. Have also asked in social media for any confirmation that the is indeed one of those killed, but still awaiting a response. Freddie, unfortunately is blank for names.
  20. Stewart Locke, UK, 1993

    Several news articles still exist online: http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/12686871.Father_seeks_inquiry_into_diver_apos_s_death/ http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/12660778.Moment_of_truth_for_diver_apos_s_widow/ http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/12659306.Diver_made_five_suicide_bids__inquiry_is_told/ http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/12541004.Lawyer_tells_sheriff_that_attacker_of_dead_man_apos_s_employer_is_sitting_in_court_____Diving_death_inquiry_____________witness_is_beaten_up/
  21. Sedco 1, Spain, 1979

    The divers name who survived this incident was Freddie Oxley. I am posting here the last email he sent me, and hope that someone may recognise something. Would really like to find out more on this, and not let it just stay buried. I has sent Freddie the details that we have so far: This is his reply:
  22. Luke Seabrook

    A year later: http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/nova-scotia/luke-seabrook-diving-death-accident-tidal-power-plant-1.3678009
  23. Luke Seabrook

    From the album Those who have died

    Died July 15th 2015 Delta P at Nova Scotia Power's Annapolis Tidal Power Plant. http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/diver-luke-seabrook-died-after-nova-scotia-power-dam-gate-left-open-brother-says-1.3172533
  24. Sondre Birkeland

    An IOGP safety alert was released regarding this incident here: http://safetyzone.iogp.org/SafetyAlerts/alerts/Detail.asp?alert_id=275
  25. Sondre Birkeland

    From the album Those who have died

    Died on 29th January, after an accident in Westcon Olen rig yard in Norway on 27th January 2016.