Mark Longstreath

Administrators
  • Content count

    745
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    137

Mark Longstreath last won the day on September 29 2016

Mark Longstreath had the most liked content!

Community Reputation

796 Excellent

About Mark Longstreath

  • Rank
    Board Member
  • Birthday

Recent Profile Visitors

613 profile views
  1. Paspaley pearl diver Jarrod Hampton's family seeking answers as inquest into death set down for May The family of a Victorian pearl diver who died off WA's north-west coast has welcomed the scheduling of an inquest five years on, saying lives continued to be put at risk by alleged dubious safety practices. Jarrod Hampton was working as a drift diver for the Paspaley Pearling Company in April 2012 when he got into trouble in the water off Eighty Mile Beach. By the time he was pulled aboard his boat, its crew was unable to revive him. A 10-day coronial inquest has now been set down to run in Perth in May, with Mr Hampton's parents Robyn and Tony and their two other sons planning to travel from their home in Victoria to attend. Ms Hampton welcomed the announcement of the inquest and said she felt "very optimistic". "We've waited many years to get that news. There was a time we thought we weren't going to get an inquest," she said. "We will learn what they did do and what they perhaps should have done, and what maybe should have been in place." Ms Hampton said the doubt surrounding just how her son died had added to the family's distress. "We only live with the memories of him, and we miss him, and the dynamics of our family have changed forever ... we're overwhelmed by his loss," she said. Family criticises 'archaic' regulations In the wake of the death, safety watchdog WorkSafe charged Paspaley with failing to provide a safe work environment, to which the company pleaded guilty and was fined $60,000. The Broome District Court heard it took the Paspaley crew between five and 10 minutes to bring Mr Hampton onto a boat, at which time efforts to revive him were unsuccessful. However, no charge was ever laid relation to Mr Hampton's death, and there has been no suggestion the company was responsible. The Hampton family has been scathing of the relatively loose regulation of the pearling industry and the lack of change in the wake of their son's death. "There's been no significant improvements, nothing done that would protect someone's life," Ms Hampton said. Pearl diving is regulated under the general diving regulations rather than commercial diving regulations, and Ms Hampton said the inquest would provide an opportunity to have that reviewed. "All the pearl divers must get a commercial fishing licence, so the WA state does see their job as commercial fishing, and yet they've managed to maintain a very archaic diving regulation, the general diving regulations." Review underway but progress unclear Both Paspaley and the WA Pearl Producers Association have defended the industry's safety record, pointing out that deaths are very rare and saying improvements had been made in recent years. The State Government said in the wake of Mr Hampton's death that it would review safety regulations, but it appears there has been little progress. A working group was formed by WorkSafe after court proceedings finished in 2015 to assess what industry changes were needed. The ABC understands the group has met several times, and is looking at whether the existing non-enforceable industry code of practice needs to be upgraded to a commission code. Diving guidelines are also being reviewed nationally, a process Worksafe has said could have implications for the training requirements in WA's pearling industry. The WA Pearl Producers Association and WorkSafe have been contacted for comment. Source: http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-02-22/paspaley-pearl-diver-jarrod-hampton-family-welcomes-inquest-wa/8292170 Feb 22 2017
  2. Taken from: http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/nova-scotia/luke-seabrook-diving-death-accident-tidal-power-plant-1.3678009 No closure for family of diver killed at Nova Scotia tidal plant a year ago Luke Seabrook's family on mission to prevent divers from dying on the job The family of a Dartmouth man killed on the job at Nova Scotia Power's Annapolis Tidal Power Plant a year ago is still seeking answers about how and why his death happened. Commercial diver Luke Seabrook, 39, died last July 15 while inspecting the dam's underwater gates. The generating station is located where the powerful Bay of Fundy tides meet the Annapolis River in Annapolis Royal. "He didn't have a hope in hell, nobody would," said Angela Seabrook, Luke's mother, as she stared at the rushing water pouring out of the dam. The Wasaga Beach, Ont., woman travelled to Nova Scotia to see the plant for herself on the eve of the anniversary. 'I need to know' "I have to find out what happened and why it happened before I can forgive," she said. "There might not be anybody to blame for this. It could just be an accident, but I need to know." His family has received details from Jarvis DesRoche, the backup diver, who along with the diver supervisor, were providing support from the shore. Luke Seabrook was carrying out the annual inspection of the gate as part of Paul's Diving Service Inc. It was a job he'd done before. Within a minute or two of going underwater, Seabrook signalled to come up. His support team couldn't pull him up but the line wouldn't budge, so they tied off his line in hopes he wouldn't be dragged farther away. "If Jarvis had gone down, there would be two of them dead," Angela Seabrook said. DesRoche had to wait about an hour for the tides on both sides of the dam gate to equalize before he could retrieve his friend's body. Seabrook says her son was found stuck in the gate, which wasn't fully closed, as it should have been. His helmet was wedged in the gap. The opening allowed the force of the world's highest tides to surge through. The differential pressure on either side of the gate creates a powerful suction. That pressure can be in the tonnes. In the diving world, that hazard is called Delta P, and it's one of the leading causes of death for occupational divers. 'I hope he didn't suffer' Luke Seabrook was found with broken ribs and contusions to his head. His suit was ripped, his mouthpiece was loose. "I don't know whether he died because his lungs were crushed or he drowned," Angela Seabrook said. She's still waiting for the autopsy report's official cause of death. "All I know is I hope he didn't suffer." For the last year, the provincial department of Labour has been investigating the workplace fatality. It typically takes two years before findings are released and charges, if warranted, are laid. Seabrook's fear is that another diver could die on the job in the meantime. Department denies CBC request CBC News has asked to see the department's stop-work and compliance orders slapped on Nova Scotia Power and Paul's Diving Service Inc. Those requests have been denied, and that decision is waiting to be reviewed. Rejecting a request for labour department orders is unusual. In previous cases, the department has provided the information to CBC News. Nova Scotia Power has declined an interview. And the dive support team members have not responded to an interview request. 'Things haven't changed' Seabrook has enlisted the help of diving expert Stephen Donovan in her quest for answers. In the '90s, Donovan was a member of the working group that drafted Nova Scotia's diving regulations. He says he walked away from the group because it was split with infighting among different diving groups that had competing interests. The end result, he says, was watered-down regulations. "Things haven't changed from when I was diving in the Bay of Fundy in the middle of the '70s," said Donovan. "Yes, we have better equipment but we still are losing people." Donovan finds it deeply troubling that Luke Seabrook was likely killed because of a danger that is nothing new – differential pressure at a dam. He says he believes Seabrook's death was preventable. It's high time, he says, for the diving community to make safety a priority. "Very frustrating that changes haven't been made that I think should've been made." 'We feel forgotten' The wait for information has been agonizing for Seabrook's widow, Sheryl. They were newlyweds when Luke was killed. His last text was haunting and sweet. "Going to work with the changing tides. I love you, I'll talk to you soon," she recalled. The 36-year-old has tried to go back to work, but she's been unsuccessful. Diving was a passion she shared with her husband, but now she can't go back in the water. On this first anniversary of Seabrook's death, she plans to go to the plant for the first time where she'll spend time in quiet meditation. She'll find a wreath attached to a chain link fence surrounding the dam. It's the only hint of the tragedy. But there will be no closure. "I think that's something that can only come after the full investigation is disclosed to us, if and when," she said. "We feel forgotten."
  3. 2017 has started with two fatalities in the diving industry, both in Spain. The first was on January 5th was a diver named Jesus Ramon Vazquez Tojeiro, who was carrying out a dive to recover red coral, commonly used in jewelry that is sold in China. As the amount of red coral declines, divers have to go deeper to find it. This diver died while carrying out a SCUBA Mixed Gas dive. His body was recovered 9 days later on January 14th. The second diver died on 25th January. His name was Agustin Ortega. Currently we know very little about how he died, just that he was working at the Valdelentisco desalination plant near El Mojón in Mazarrón. It is widely recognised that Spain has one of the worst safety records in the world, and that their diving regulatory structure is antiquated, and totally inadequate for the diving industry. Lets hope that 2017 can be the start of a total restructuring of the Spanish diving regulations, as they sorely need it. Augustin Ortega
  4. From the album Those who have died

    Died 19th December 2016 Approx. 18:10 hs. Monday 19-Dec Commercial diver Leticia Castiglione, an Argentine. 37 years of age Diving for the Company Raul Negro. Operating in reflotamiebro on a sunken barge TAF 317. Km 1204,5 MI RP. Leaving bottom and arriving on the surface assisted by the two surface divers who with personal from the PNA used CPR. Unconscious she was transferred to land and taken to the School Hospital where they performed life saving tasks of reanimacion.amplia CORR Hs. At 20:20 The Head of Intensive Therapy reported the death of the Commercial Diver Leticia Castiglione, cause of death to be determined by the coroner. Federal Court Judgment No. 1 was given to Dr. Carlos Soto Dávila
  5. What has to happen too, is the adoption of IMCA guidelines. This is likely to prove to be a stumbling block though as IMCA is not a US body. Consolidate authority under USCG, and adhere to IMCA guidelines, and you will improve diver safety in the US.
  6. The Association website is in the process of being updated. The board software has already be changed to the latest, and most secure software package, and is in the process of being configured to achieve a similar look and feel to the original site. This will take time, however the forums can be used as normal. The Incidents script is also being upgraded to work with the new site software, and should be back online shortly.
  7. A name that has come up as potentially one of the two divers killed in this incident is Jim Wyness. He was fairly new out of the army, and recently married and took the job on short notice as he needed to have a new kitchen built. I have done several searches for any details of him, but not been able to come up with anything. Have also asked in social media for any confirmation that the is indeed one of those killed, but still awaiting a response. Freddie, unfortunately is blank for names.
  8. Several news articles still exist online: http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/12686871.Father_seeks_inquiry_into_diver_apos_s_death/ http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/12660778.Moment_of_truth_for_diver_apos_s_widow/ http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/12659306.Diver_made_five_suicide_bids__inquiry_is_told/ http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/12541004.Lawyer_tells_sheriff_that_attacker_of_dead_man_apos_s_employer_is_sitting_in_court_____Diving_death_inquiry_____________witness_is_beaten_up/
  9. The divers name who survived this incident was Freddie Oxley. I am posting here the last email he sent me, and hope that someone may recognise something. Would really like to find out more on this, and not let it just stay buried. I has sent Freddie the details that we have so far: This is his reply:
  10. A year later: http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/nova-scotia/luke-seabrook-diving-death-accident-tidal-power-plant-1.3678009
  11. An IOGP safety alert was released regarding this incident here: http://safetyzone.iogp.org/SafetyAlerts/alerts/Detail.asp?alert_id=275
  12. From a post on longstreath.com:
  13. David Hoover's son has created a website for his father with with old photos and links to articles, some of which have now been withdrawn from the Norwegian Government website: http://diveaccident.drhdesign.com/
  14. I have a position on HRF's: I think that the client companies should purchase one for each area of operations. They can share the cost between different operators, then put out tenders to run, maintain and operate them. The client companies should advise all diving companies in their tender documents of the mating flange size and hub requirements needed to allow the diving companies to mate their HRC/SPHL to the HRF. I do not think that the onus of providing an HRF should be placed on the diving company. If it is, and it seems to be going that way, every vessel will have to have its own HRF, which is a huge financial burden on the diving companies.
  15. Interesting idea, but the way the majors are squirming at loss of profits, I can't see them looking at basing them in regional areas. Taken from Google: