Divers Association
Sign in to follow this  
Mark Longstreath

Said, Egypt, 2011

Taken from Facebook, the video below shows what happened to this diver.

After showing it to an Egyptian colleague, he has advised the following from the discussion in Arabic:

Died Diver’s name: Said
Company: Sea Pro

Conclusion of the discussion (no evidences what so ever just chatting):
The Panel Man was not a supervisor he was an engineer
He was not trained for commercial diving
The diver felt blurry sight, and dizzy
The panel man asked him to standby, then come up
No man on the umbilical, so the diver was struggling to come up
The reason of death was not the sudden going up, maybe air contamination!!
That was not the only death incident happen in Sea Pro

Attached below is a downloadable version of the video:

Interesting that the video surfaced - that was a well covered up incident.

The Seapro team were diving off the "Cosmos 1" for GPC (General Petroleum Company, Egypt,) in the central Red Sea, it was a two man dive, the date was the 25th of June 2011.

Dive log said "LS 09:25, AB 09:27, LB 09:35, AS 09:40". The divers went into distress at depth (30 metres). I'm not entirely convinced the dive log and video are synchronised.

No supervisor on the panel (Inspection dive so there was an 'engineer' on the panel), umbilicals untended, doubtful the dive crew even knew there was a problem until they saw the diver struggling on the surface.

Appear not to have had medical oxygen or working DDC on vessel, nor access to onshore medical support as they used a personal mobile phone to call the mobile of a diving supervisor of another commercial diving contractor in the area at approx 10:30.  Fifty minutes after surfacing.

Reported 'one diver ill/semi-conscious' and one diver 'in a coma'.

The other contractor sailed a vessel with fully IMCA compliant dive system and dive team including DMTs to the July oil field (mid point), left port at 10:45, they arrived at the rendezvous point at 11:40 and tied up (No DP).

The Cosmos 1 arrived and tied up alongside at 11:55.  Over two hours since surfacing.

At 12:00 the injured - conscious but not breathing at all well - diver was transferred from the Cosmos 1 to the rescue vessel, assessed and given oxygen, later transferred ashore (still on O2) and then on to hospital with a suspected pneumothorax (Later released, no pneumothorax, just pain and polluted lungs full of bad gas).

Second diver declared dead on site on the deck of the 'Cosmos 1'  by a doctor flown out to the field by helicopter.

Extremely vociferous protestations by the Cosmos skipper to take the 'unconscious' diver for treatment in direct confrontation with the doctor who was of the opinion that the diver had already been dead a couple of hours.

I spoke to the dive crew of the rescue boat afterwards - they were firmly of the opinion that although the words were 'you must treat my poor ill friend' what he really meant was 'Body off my boat means the body is on your boat and therefore the body is not my problem'.

Probable contaminated air (We believe they changed from HP gas to diesel generator part way through the dive, but there are no reports or information from the contractor, don't think there was even an investigation)

It was not reported in the public domain (OK, I don't read arabic, but none of the guys could find anything in any of the papers, not even the usual 'sailor fell off boat and drowned').

The contractor declined to respond to any questions.

2011 - the same year a shell-fish diver by the name of James Irvine working in SCUBA drowned off the Methill coast in Scotland.  Last week the skipper of that vessel got 9 months in jail for contraventions under the Health and Safety at Work Act (No supervisor, no lifeline, no training, no stand-by - the usual cr4p).

The legal system in the UK doesn't always work as fast as we would like, but it does work and the Diving At Work regulations are enforced.

Out 'there' is different - and I do not just mean `Egypt - out there it is not just entirely acceptable, it is regarded by many as honourable to be fatalistic and accept that it was 'meant to happen'.

I am not making any moral judgement, people have the right to think as they wish however much I might think fatalism is often used as an excuse for abrogating responsibility.

And I am not even sure we can claim the moral high ground - the only reason it is safer to dive commercially in the UK is because the laws are enforced, we can't even claim that we have good diving practices because we thought they were a good idea, we work properly because if we don't, we bloody well get prosecuted.

• Like 2